Ohio Star in progress
Should have the two borders done today, will let in 'hang' a few days then the quilting will begin.
Made from vintage sheets...the red, the floral (backing), and the white.
The Woolrich sheet I picked up at our local Deseret Industries for $3, the Ralph Lauren (Brooke Sophie) I purchased on Etsy for $20. I love RL and will pay higher prices for him only;-)
Of course, I did not measure twice and cut once. Oh no. I cut out enough for 21 stars so not paying attention to the extra red I would need. You see, at first I was going to have red stars with a white background...no problem. Right before cutting I decide white stars with a beautiful red background. Of course, once I made up one block I realized the mistake....not enough red for the background!
So then, I sit down and figure things out. After 25 years of quilting you would think I would know to start with the plan on paper, as the mind it not always so trust worthy;-) Lucky for me I have enough red for a two inch border. Lots more stars in waiting.
By the way, it is the top hem that saved the day. Once I removed the hem seams I had close to an eight inch wide hem. Never toss the hem thinking them worthless.
I worked hard not to get the reverse side of the sheet on the front, but now that I have a 'few' mistakes, I really like them. Kinda gives it more of a vintage look.
As I have plenty of extra stars after only needing six, plus lots of extra on the RL sheet, I will make up a table runner...at least for the holidays. Then I can give a better cost breakdown when the three sheets are used up. A twin sheet will give you an easy three yards of fabric, the RL sheet is king size...it just may show up in projects for years to come.
May you all have a wonderful weekend.